12 Jan Resources for Students
I love it when students contact me saying that they are studying craftivism at school, college or university and they are keen to learn more about our methodology. I’m currently writing an in-depth book which will (hopefully!) be a useful tool for students as well as craftivists, organisations and others. But in the meantime here are some resources that I recommend to students to help answer your questions since, sadly, I don’t have capacity to answer them all individually (I hope you understand). Please feel free to quote anything said in the resources below and you can use images from Flickr here (please accredit Craftivist Collective).
- Helsinki University video (2014): This talk (30mins), discussion with the presenter (30mins) and Q&A (40mins) covers our work the most thoroughly. The questions from the presenter and audience are very thoughtful and just as important to watch and hear my answers as listening to my presentation.
2. A Craftivist’s Manifesto (2015) took 6 months to make and explain our ways of doing craftivism as well as hint at why we don’t do other types of craftivism.
3. A Little Book of Craftivism (2013) includes our ‘Dos & Don’ts page’, projects, top tips and more. If you can’t get a copy in your library, order your copy here for £5.50 (RRP £5.99)
4. Craftivism: The Art of Craft and Activism. Edited by Betsy Greer. Has a long interview with me about our work as well as referrals to our work in chapters
5. Podcast interview on Brand New Ways (2015): here
6. Our Kits and tools here are full of in-depth instructions, crafter-thought questions to reflect on whilst you stitch, suggested message ideas as well as top tips to be the most effective craftivist. Plus I always think that if you are going to write about a practice, it’s worth having a go yourself
7. . Views of craftivists taking part in our workshops (each video is a few minutes long):
Views of professional campaigners and others
- Short film: Do Lectures (online video here) focusing on my personal journey as a doer
- Short film: TedxBedford (here) focusing on how to do activism differently
- Written interview on RunRiot here
- Written interview with Etsy here
- Written interview on Transition Network here
- Craftivists in their own words on our blog series ‘My Craftivism‘
- Google what you are looking for and see what comes up.