29 Sep Resources for Students
I love that students around the world are studying our unique ‘Gentle Protest’ approach to craftivism and activism. From design courses to political sciences, psychology courses to find art, I’m always amazed at what course Reading Lists our books end up on!
Whether you are studying our work as part of a course at high school, college or university (degree level, masters or even PhD) below are resources to help you with your studies and your practice as gentle craftivists (we learn best by doing *hint hint* and by doing the work we are also helping society – win win!)
Sadly, I do not have capacity to answer all of the emails from individuals with their own questions since I run the Craftivist Collective as a one-woman-band (I hope you understand). Please feel free to quote anything said in the resources below and you can use images from Flickr here (please accredit Craftivist Collective).
2. A Craftivist’s Manifesto took 6 months to make and explain our ways of doing craftivism as well as hint at why we don’t do other types of craftivism (available in 6 languages so far with more planned here)
3. How To Be A Craftivist: the art of gentle protest (Paperback edition 2019) is the best place to find all the answers I have including methodology, theory, case studies and feedback. Order HERE or from your nearest independent ethical bookshop.
4. TED Talk of the Week: Activism Needs Introverts
5. Podcast interview on So Good with Branden Harvey (2018) here. I give lots of podcast interviews you can search for online to listen to as well.
6. Our Kits and tools here are full of in-depth instructions, crafter-thought questions to reflect on whilst you stitch, suggested message ideas as well as top tips to be the most effective craftivist. Plus I always think that if you are going to write about a practice, it’s worth having a go yourself 🙂
7. Why To craftivism videos x 5 explaining the important elements to each of our kits and projects.
8. Views of craftivists taking part in our workshops (each video is a few minutes long):
There are many other resources you can search for online.