28 Dec New Years Resolution project: Craftivist Footprint
If you are in London on Tuesday 14th January please do join our small, intimate workshop 7pm-9pm in the wonderful eco-craft shop Fabrications. An Italian TV crew will be there to film a small amount but don’t worry, you can ignore them. Tickets are here (grab them quick, we only have 10 spaces!)
If you can’t join us in London- fear not! You can get involved on your own or in a group anywhere in the world. We sell Craftivist Footprint Kits on our Etsy shop if you want to make one for yourself or encourage a group of your friends to make theirs together.
New Year is a natural time for reflection about the year ahead. We are connected to others and we have impact as a global citizen (daunting thought!) from what we buy, who we vote for, how we treat others etc. It’s easy to let life pass us by so why not craft yourself a physical footprint to help you remember what hopes you have for leaving a positive mark on this world?
We know that craft helps us slow down & reflect. A piece of craft can also be a useful physical symbol to keep yourself motivated to be the change you wish to see in the world.
I stitched a message on a footprint shape and framed it against some fabric I love. It says “The footprints you leave will influence others. There is no person who at some time, somewhere, somehow, does not lead another…”
It is placed where I see it when I walk down the stairs. A glance puts me in the right mindset to try and care for my global neighbour & make a positive difference.
- How to make your Craftivist Footprint
You need our kit or:
1. Write your message directly onto your fabric footprint in your own handwriting. Stitch a relevant quote onto the footprint to remind you to try and make a positive difference in the world.
2. Cut your thread to be your arms length, approximately 60cm long and split the thread in half so you have 2 sets of 3 strands. Pick up your needle and stitch your message using a back stitch or split stitch.
3. Stitch the edges of your footprint with a blanket stitch (more machine sew the edges with a zigzag stitch) to stop from fraying
4. Put in a frame for you to put in your home to remind you of your journey & the impact you are making.
5. Please do share your final craftivism piece with us and your contacts on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook (etc!) using the #craftivists and @craftivists. We would love you to blog about your footprint on our website for our ‘My Craftivism’ series too if you are up for it.
If you would like to write a guest post for the Craftivist Collective blog, please email us at Craftivist.firstname.lastname@example.org
Craftivist Collective is a social enterprise that relies on your support. If you enjoyed this blog post, please comment, share or head over to our shop.