14 Jan Tatty Devine design for our Valentines Project
- Print out the design approximately 11cm wide by 9cm tall with the thickness of the lines being about 2mm
- Put a piece of shrink plastic over the top to trace the design (some shrink plastic sheets may need to be sanded before hand)
- use permanent marker or coloured pencil to fill in the red and black colours and write in small marker around the edge of the keyring (see keyring photograph below) “love from Craftivist Collective”
- cut around the design as close as you can to the edge
- use a hole puncher to punch out the whole in white in top right hand corner
- place on foil on a baking tray in a warm oven or use a heat tool to shrink the design until it is approximately 4cm wide by 3cm tall and is flat.
- leave under a heavy book for a few minutes to set flat.
- place the keyring through the hole at the top and close using jewellery pliers
- If you use permanent pens or crayon you can make the keyring design more durable by sealing the colour in with a layer of clear nail varnish. Leave to dry
- place the keyring in with the valentines letter in your red envelope and sign your signature on the letter.
- Add value to the letter and gift by hand writing on the bottom of the letter that the gift is handmade, home-baked and limited edition: this is a great way to promote the finder into thinking what goes into making something, the cost of everything being someone’s time, skill and emotion and hopefully it will also give people a sense of being part of something: having a connection.
- Go find somewhere sneaky to place the envelope. Ideas can be found here
Optional: Instead of spending money on keyrings you could find single links from salvaged broken jewellry and make your own keyring or mobile phone accessory, zipper pull – just add extra instructions in with the letter so the finder could decide what to turn your heart into. It could be the ‘key’ to their heart, a tag for when you ‘love to talk’ or a fastener pull to ‘open up’ their heart
For the template letter go here
For the instructions video go here (TBC)
For more information go here
If you are stuck please contact us on craftivist-collective[at] hotmail dot com
Have fun! 🙂